AI Violation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

significantwin0410

Reaction score
I recently received an academic integrity violation for marking myself present in class when I was not physically present. I know IAs are serious, so I was wondering how drastically this will impact me when I apply to med school. I also know showing growth is very important, but I’m unsure how to grow from this aside from never doing it again since my school does not allow individuals with AI violations to serve on any committees regarding academic integrity. For context, I’m still a freshman.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently received an academic integrity violation for marking myself present in class when I was not physically present. I know IAs are serious, so I was wondering how drastically this will impact me when I apply to med school. I also know showing growth is very important, but I’m unsure how to grow from this aside from never doing it again since my school does not allow individuals with AI violations to serve on any committees regarding academic integrity. For context, I’m still a freshman.
You have to report it.

How important is it? Well, if you did this in an employment context, you are committing fraud by saying you were "at work"/"on time" when you weren't. It's a big problem when managers are at their wit's end when people they hire to do work show up late. This problem is exacerbated if you submit false information that you were working when you were not.

It is also a security issue. Sharing passwords or IDs seems innocent until you get your next "you've been pwned" email, where someone has broken into a database and taken all your personal information. Then, they use it to open up credit and run your bank account into the ground. Or develop fake accounts and deepfake you on social media for adcoms or your school admins to discover.

Do you have a prehealth advising office? If an IA disqualifies you from serving on any other student conduct roles (or perhaps any leadership roles)... well, I'm not sure how I can help you when it comes to doing things on-campus. Ask your student conduct office if they have any suggestions. I wouldn't be surprised if they said no.

You're a freshman. You have time to ruminate on your mistake and the consequences. It might not prevent you from getting into medical school if you stay clean and unimpeachable.

Finally, make sure you show up.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
You're lucky you're a freshman and that you'll have at least 2 years until you apply to show that this was a one-time thing.

In the big scheme of things, this is not as bad as outright cheating, but probably worse than a non-academic IA (i.e. nobody cares about that time someone was caught with alcohol in their dorm room). By itself this likely will not greatly impact your chances, but if it becomes a pattern it will make it very difficult to ever get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just don’t do it again. And don’t get another IA of any type—having more than one, even if they are minor, suggests poor judgment.

Reactions: 1 users
Damn bro sorry you're in this position. Seems like a pretty tough ruling for a freshman especially. Was this a single day or over the entire semester?