Rec letter from "Most meaningful experience"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myribosomesbad

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would say one of my most meaningful experiences came from leading the pharmacy department at our school's student-run free clinic, and I also know that most of you would recommend getting rec letters from someone who overlooked your "most meaningful experiences" in the AMCAS activities section.

The problem is that our work mostly involves coordinating volunteers, contacting patients and local pharmacies to coordinate medication payments and med pickups, etc after we receive the prescription orders from the medical team (mostly consisting of med students), and although there are attending physicians that sign these orders, I usually don't have any direct/personal interactions with the attending (and about 5-6 attendings take shifts volunteering, so I didn't really get to know any of them that well).

I do have other "clinical" letter writers from my volunteering at the university hospital (a SWAT nurse and the volunteer coordinator) which I also plan to add as one of my "most meaningful experiences", but would you still recommend that I find someone in the free clinic to write a letter for me? And if I do, who would you recommend I ask (a medical student, attending, etc)?

Thank you all so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

n=1, but none of my recommendation letters were from anyone involved with any of my "most meaningful experiences". I wouldn't recommend asking a letter from someone you dont know well/doesn't know you well.

Reactions: 1 users
I think this is the start of an urban legend. Perhaps is one (or more!) of your MME took place in a research lab, and you are applying to top 10 research schools, it goes without saying that you have a letter from your PI. But meaningful service activities and the like -- just no!

Reactions: 3 users
I also know that most of you would recommend getting rec letters from someone who overlooked your "most meaningful experiences" in the AMCAS activities section
As noted, I guess it depends how you interpret "recommend." Yeah. I think it's great, but we don't wonder about your letters like that... "no letter from MMEs?" isn't brought up as you infer.

Strong letters are most important if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users