Need Advice - Go to interview or reapply to state school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HNH96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So to start off, when I applied to this cycle I applied to schools that I could see myself at because of my family, the familiarity, or because I loved the school. However, when I applied I was single and thinking just about my current situation.

I had an interview at my state school and was placed on the waiting list (it is my first year applying). To complicate things, in January I got engaged and my fiancé is also applying to dental school for the next cycle. A few days later, I found out the class was filled and that I would have to reapply for next cycle if I wanted to go to my state school. During this whole time, I had only heard from my state school, and I had one other school had declined me. So my thought was that the other three that hadn't gotten back to me at all, were not interested and I could start planning my wedding and making peace with reapplying to the next cycle.

Today I found out that received an interview offer to a school across the country and now I am wondering if I should go and interview. I am very afraid that if I go I would get in, and I would feel like I would have to accept the offer. It makes it complicated because we would have to move our wedding date, I don't know if my fiancé would get in next cycle, and it's so far from home without my support system for at least 6 months as my fiancé graduates undergraduate this december. I graduate this may.

I understand that I may receive so flack for this, but I also understand that it is a huge compliment and I would be grateful to receive an offer. I do not think I would turn it down if I got in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I say reapply next cycle with your fiancé. If you get accepted this cycle, your fiancé will have to stress about getting into your school next year. Apply broadly next cycle, there should be a good chance you two will make it into the same school. Oh and give your state school a call and see why they didn't accept you and be sure to work on that for next cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Attend the interview. Attend the school if you get in. Push off the marriage until you graduate from dental school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I say reapply next cycle with your fiancé. If you get accepted this cycle, your fiancé will have to stress about getting into your school next year. Apply broadly next cycle, there should be a good chance you two will make it into the same school. Oh and give your state school a call and see why they didn't accept you and be sure to work on that for next cycle.

I had a meeting this morning actually, and he said I just needed more experience hours (I still had about 130) but that with so many applicants (1,100) that they just didn't have enough spots to offer everyone who was competitive a spot. My in-state has 56 total spots.

Overall the meeting was really positive and that if I just work at getting more experience that I would be in a good spot!

Attend the interview. Attend the school if you get in. Push off the marriage until you graduate from dental school.

I mean we have been together for almost 7 years, so I just don't think thats an option. I appreciate your response, it just doesn't fit my future.

I mean we have been together for almost 7 years, so I just don't think thats an option. I appreciate your response, it just doesn't fit my future.
How old are you? If i were you, I'd attend the interview and show interest in the school! And grats on your wedding!

In your post you said you were single when you applied. Did you break up and get back together? The reason I’m asking is because if so, you need to evaluate the breaking points of your relationship and work around them. If going out of state threatens your relationship, stay instate

In your post you said you were single when you applied. Did you break up and get back together? The reason I’m asking is because if so, you need to evaluate the breaking points of your relationship and work around them. If going out of state threatens your relationship, stay instate
No, I meant single in the sense of not married or engaged (like how you would report it on FAFSA or taxes). I don't think going out of state would harm our relationship, but I do think it would it would be extremely hard on me because he would over 1,000 miles away for at least 6-9 months.

Normally in these cases I tell people to take the acceptance because of the lost time and income. But for you it seems money is not an issue, nor time. If your marriage is the most important thing for you right now, just reapply together next year.

Just know that there is never a guarantee for getting into a specific dental school.

In addition to that, if you decline an acceptance this cycle, your next cycle will be harder.

In addition to that, if you decline an acceptance this cycle, your next cycle will be harder.
Isn't there a way to withdraw an application? She wouldn't get accepted but at least she won't have a harder time next cycle

Whatever you do.. do not withdraw! Go to the interview and treat it like any other, the chances that they might accept you are around 50% anyways. But do not turn them down, an II doesn't mean that you will matriculate.

Reactions: 1 user
If you applied to schools knowing that you could see yourself there...then why did you apply to a school across the country? Surely there must be something that you liked about it, let's say you had still been single and got accepted to this school, would you still feel that you had no support system? I say definitely attend the interview and if you get accepted go to the school. What if your fiance gets in next cycle and you guys can be one year apart at the same dental school?? I think the possibility is worth it.

There is no guarantee of you getting into your state school, at the meetings they only tell you what you can do to make yourself more competitive to increase your chances but every year there will be people with better apps than you and it's just a gamble. And the application specifically asks if you're a reapplicant, and if you get any interviews schools will ask you about why you reapplied, what will you tell them?

I think it's worth it. You can still get married, you would just be in a long distance relationship, which is not an unheard of thing. I think you'll be busy enough with school that it won't be horrible, and your classmates will be your support system. And even then it will only be for 4 years, or even just 1 year if your fiance gets into that school or a school closeby! Tell him to apply to schools that are in the area.

Also instead of asking us strangers it might be better to sit down with him and ask him what he wants from you and from the relationship, what he thinks about you moving across the country, etc. Good luck!

Very complicated situation. In order for both of you to attend the same dental school you both need to apply at the same time and select your options. There is no guarantee that she would be accepted to the SAME dental school that accepted you a year earlier. unless she had excellent stats. The only chance would be at a high tuition private school with less competition for acceptance. Then you have a chance, but I would not recommend going to an expensive private dental school. Your marriage would be under an incredible amount of stress when it comes time to pay back the ridiculous amount of school debt times two.

The father in me with two daughters age 23 and 16 would recommend postponing marriage until your education is completed. Dental school is not much of a fairy tale honeymoon after marriage.

But again .... I'm just a stranger on a forum. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I got married two weeks after finishing my AEGD, at that point we had been taking for 11 years, including 5 years of long distance through Dental School / Residency. It's definitely tough, but doable if you have a plan and goals in mind. You're in an interesting situation since your fiance is also applying, but I would say it would be a good idea to at least go to the interview and see what happens. It's possible it will take them two cycles to get in, and lets just play devil's advocate here, what happens if they gets in that cycle, and you don't? Would you want them to turn down an acceptance to apply again the following cycle with you?

Just personal opinion, but I would just go to the interview. In the event that you do get into the school - go. Your plans for dental school preceded plans for a wedding. You could either have the wedding earlier, or maybe during a long break during dental school. Our school gives a 10 week summer break or something so see if they ahve something like that.

If you guys are getting married you have to see the logistics. You could be in dental school one year ahead and graduate before your fiance, start earning money, and paying off loans. Otherwise you are just putting it off for no reason. Youve already paid application fees and done the work. Of course, if you dont get in then you had no choice and can carry on with your plans.

Again, personal opinion - but if you are 22 and both undergrads in college its really not the end of the world if you dont get married right now. have a nice engagement party with your family and friends and do your vows at a future date. that's what id do

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.