2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What indicates that an applicant is top of WL?

Members don't see this ad.

What indicates that an applicant is top of WL?
It was a sentence in the WL invite directly stating something like "since you're near the top of the WL you'll be one of the first people to get off". All those people already got off though, so now we're in unranked territory.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
apparently some people who just got in from the WL didn’t PTE correctly or in time on AMCAS so their offers were rescinded and the school told them they already gave their spots away…

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
apparently some people who just got in from the WL didn’t PTE correctly or in time on AMCAS so their offers were rescinded and the school told them they already gave their spots away…
Where did you get this information?

I withdrew from UCLA HPWL a while ago, but it hasn't been reflected on CYMS. Anyone else has the same thing?

I'm so close to withdrawing my place on WL smh this waiting since AUGUST is annoying me LOL

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
I really thought we would hear something this week

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here. Wishing the best for y'all this cycle! Feel free to drop questions below or message me, esp as secondaries come out next month.
Hello! I have some questions about the work and activities section of the application if you don't mind.
1. How important is it to include a hobby on the W&A? I heard it's good to include because it adds a human quality to your application, but I've done a lot of meaningful activities and I'm running out of space to mention a hobby.
2. Do you have any sort of advice/recommendation about how many slots each category should get? For example, is it okay to give leadership 1 slot, or should it be 2 or 3? Do you know if UCLA likes seeing a certain split of categories or if they have a preferences for some categories over others?
3. How important is it to touch on social justice and advocacy? I have a great experience I could touch on for this, but again, I'm running out of space and wondering if I should cut this.

Hello! I have some questions about the work and activities section of the application if you don't mind.
1. How important is it to include a hobby on the W&A? I heard it's good to include because it adds a human quality to your application, but I've done a lot of meaningful activities and I'm running out of space to mention a hobby.
2. Do you have any sort of advice/recommendation about how many slots each category should get? For example, is it okay to give leadership 1 slot, or should it be 2 or 3? Do you know if UCLA likes seeing a certain split of categories or if they have a preferences for some categories over others?
3. How important is it to touch on social justice and advocacy? I have a great experience I could touch on for this, but again, I'm running out of space and wondering if I should cut this.
Look at the schools mission and secondary. Do not bank on getting a ucla II. You have a 98% chance of not getting in. Bank on making your app as appealing to as many school by being authentic. The secondary you will be able to show specifically why you are good for ucla

You should post in the WAMC thread or general pre-med forums where you’ll get better feedback for questions related to your application in general.

Let’s goooo!!! A off the waitlist this afternoon yall know how much I’ve been waiting for almost 8 months I can’t believe it!!!!! I’m coming home baby!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone know when students who got off the waitlist get financial aid packages? Regardless I’m committing but just want to know 😅

I got into UCLA without putting a hobby. I had maybe 3 leadership slots. I had 1-2 activities centered around advocacy and social justice. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know when students who got off the waitlist get financial aid packages? Regardless I’m committing but just want to know 😅
You'll get a follow-up email shortly with a list of documents to complete and send in. Once you finish their tasks they are really good about getting you an estimated aid package soon after, took them about a day for me!

Preface by saying that I don't work in admissions, so I have no insight into that process. I had a hobby on my application because it's been quite meaningful for me since childhood, and I literally filtered through schools where I could pursue said hobby relatively easily. Would not say it's necessary.
I don't think there's a rule for how many experiences should be listed under each category. My goal was to be well-rounded, but also show folks what I care about most in my career/life. No idea if UCLA likes a certain split, but I will say that many of my classmates chose where they spent their time purposefully and meaningfully. Some folks had zero research and spent all their time in community service. Other folks had little community service, but spent 24/7 in a research lab. My advice is to just put yourself on paper and show UCLA what interests you bring to the table.
I would say UCLA looks at social justice and advocacy favorably. Social justice and advocacy exists in many ways, shapes, and sizes, but you'll find that most UCLA students have some experience in it (knowingly or unknowingly).

Does anybody know of people that received merit-based scholarships besides one person that mentioned it in the group me or know how many scholarships they awarded this year?

Hi guys! Not sure where to post the question so I’m asking here since this is my top choice school. Within what timeframe are you considered an “early” applicant versus a “late” applicant? Also, does anybody know when the new forum will be made for this school? Thanks!